Call a San Diego Divorce & Family Law Attorney at: 858-222-6600 Text An Attorney

Can I withhold visitation for unpaid child support?

Posted By:
April 8, 2019


Can I withhold visitation for unpaid child support?

San Diego courts make all family law decisions with the best interest of the child in mind. This is especially true when it comes to child support and visitation. While it can be frustrating when the non-custodial parent fails to make child support payments, parents who refuse court-ordered visitations can also land themselves in trouble. Very Well Family explains what you can do if you are not receiving child support payments as ordered by the court.

Keep in mind that visitation and child support are two separate issues. Visitation is provided to ensure that kids are able to maintain a healthy and loving relationship with both parents. This entails spending time with the non-custodial parent, as is the child’s right. While visitation and shared custody may not be ideal in cases abuse or neglect has taken place, in most other situations it is the standard.

Additionally, both parents are also considered responsible for financially providing for their kids. Even if your ex chooses to forgo visitation rights as the non-custodial parent, he or she is still liable for providing payments to help raise the child. Modifications can be made if the person is experiencing a financial setback or other issue but missed payments must still be remitted regardless.

So, what can you do when your ex will not abide by a court order? The first step is to speak with your attorney about the best way to proceed. From there you can notify the court, who will take certain measures to ensure money is paid. This can include wage garnishment, where a portion of your ex’s paychecks will be taken to care for your child. Your ex may also be denied professional licenses, which can impede his or her career. In extreme cases, a person may be jailed for failing to make child support payments.

Comments are closed.

I’ve been working with Paul Ryan on a difficult case for over a year and he has been a God-send. He is smart, personable, very down to earth and a fighter. I had two terrible experiences previously with different SD firms, and hiring Paul has been a welcome breath of fresh air. I would highly recommend Paul, especially for active duty military and veterans.

Read Our Reviews

Three Convenient Locations For Your Service

We strive to make our clients’ family law cases as stress-free as possible. Mr. Ryan is an accomplished family law attorney who can meet at an office near you. He will handle the challenges of your legal matter while you focus on taking care of your family. You can schedule your free consultation any of our three San Diego offices by calling us now.

Ryan Family Law

Three Convenient, Inviting Office Locations In San Diego County
La Jolla 4225 Executive Square
Suite 600
La Jolla, CA 92037
North County 2173 Salk Avenue
Suite 250
Carlsbad, CA 92008
North County Office La Jolla Office Mission Valley Office HQ

Send Us Your Case Details

Contact Us
I read the disclaimer etc. *