Call or Text An Attorney 858-222-6600
San Diego
Contra Costa

How can you terminate child support garnishments?

Posted By:
January 8, 2020


How can you terminate child support garnishments?

How can you terminate child support garnishments?

In many family law cases, like divorce, legal separation, custody and visitation cases, there are going to be court orders for child support. The most common child support questions are the amount of money for the child support, who is paying and the payment dates. Child support is supposed to stop when your child turns 18, when your child is not in high school anymore or when your child is emancipated or deceased.

According to theBalance, the problem occurs when there is a wage garnishment or a wage assignment for child support. When orders are made to garnish or deduct wages from the person who is responsible for paying, those orders go to your employer and they are simply an order telling them to complete the deduction. There are no specific termination dates. It does not include the termination date from the child support order, nor does it have instructions on when to stop doing so.

So, when a minor child turns 18 or they are not in high school, they meet the requirements of where child support is no longer ordered by the court. But the problem is the order to deduct is still in the payroll system or with the appropriate government agency. Sometimes it may take one or two paychecks for you to realize that you are still being garnished or the child support is still being deducted with your employer and with other government agencies. Typically, you are going to need a specific order instructing them to stop the garnishment or stop the withholding. This is another separate court process that requires documents and a judge to sign that order to terminate that withholding.

Comments are closed.

I’ve been working with Paul Ryan on a difficult case for over a year and he has been a God-send. He is smart, personable, very down to earth and a fighter. I had two terrible experiences previously with different SD firms, and hiring Paul has been a welcome breath of fresh air. I would highly recommend Paul, especially for active duty military and veterans.

Read Our Reviews